Monday, April 8, 2013

Soaked Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)

It's tradition in my family to make what we call "Dutch Babies" (and what most people call German Pancakes)  for LDS General Conference weekend.  Recently I learned that in order to get the benefits of whole wheat you have to soak the wheat over night or you have to use a natural yeast start for breads.  This process breaks down the yeast and allows the vitamins and minerals to be released into your body for use.  I have been using natural yeast for a little while now but this was the first time I soaked the grains for a recipe like this. I used different wheat for both pans. The hard red wheat one that was soaked and then I needed an extra pan so I made one with soft white wheat.  Both were good, but I would recommend using hard white wheat in this recipe.  My family ate both without complaints. So here is the recipe:

Night Before
Mix together 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used red hard wheat without thinking, but hard white wheat would be much better)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp lemon juice
Cover with a damp cloth and let mixture sit over night

The Next Day
Preheat overn to 425, place 4 TBS cut up butter in 9X13 pan, place in the oven just long enough to melt butter, while the oven is preheating
Beat together 6 eggs in blender
add half flour mixture from the night before, blend well then add the other half and mix well.
When oven is preheated and butter is melted, blend one last time and then pour mixture into hot 9X13 pan and place in oven.  Bake for 22-25 minutes.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment