Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lemon Socks

My sweet baby has been running a fever for 2 days now.  It hit 103.5 today, advil doesn't work on him (I actually think he might be allergic to it to some extent - my husband's sister is actually allergic to it) and tylenol helps but only a little.  Today he was miserable, just whining and whining while I held him because he was so hot and hurting.  I couldn't google anything because I had to stand up holding him or rock him or what not so I called my sister and asked if she would google natural remedies.  She came up with 2 things.  First, lemon socks.  Yes that's right lemon socks.
 So how I did this was I socked the tops of his socks in lemon juice (real lemon juice is preferred but I didn't have any lemons so I used lemon concentrate) and then I ran that part of the socks under hot hot water to kind of rinse it off a little bit.  Then I rang them out and put them on his feet.  So only the ankles of his socks were wet.  That is supposed to help with pain within 15-20 minutes.  He had been in my arms laying on my shoulder for 30 minutes at this point waiting for tylenol to kick in.  Within 15 minutes of putting the lemon socks on him he was up walking around gathering toys.  He was still sad and would come back to be held but the whining from hurting stopped and when his brothers got home from school he followed them around.  The second thing I tried was rubbing peppermint oil (mixed with a carrier oil) along his spine.  This was supposed to help with his fever.  Now I can't say that these things worked alone because I had given him tylenol before I tried these things but they seemed to help.  Tonight before I put him to bed I tried both of them again.  I'm hoping he will get a good nights sleep and feel so much better in the morning but for now he's asleep with his lemon socks on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment