Thursday, May 16, 2013

Kind bars

I have been looking for a healthy, protein type bar for a while. My requirements?
1. Tastes good
2. Isn't packed with GMOs (most contain some type of soy)
3. Doesn't have an ingredient list 10 miles long.
I was so excited when, on vacation my husband, we stopped at the living foods market and found the perfect solution. Kind bars. They are so yummy! While they aren't the epitome of health, they are a good start. They have less that 8 ingredients and contain 7 grams of protein (for their protein bars). This isn't as much protein as other bars, so have two. Ha ha just kidding!

The label says they are non GMO which I was so excited about until I read the ingredients, "non-GMO glucose" and then listed "soy lecithin" without saying organic or non-GMO. Red flag! Since I was on vacation I texted my sister to have her do some research.

Here is what she received back from the company: 

"Thank you for your interest in KIND Healthy Snacks.  I would be happy to assist you.

I am pleased to inform you that all of our ingredients are indeed non-GMO, as indicated on the wrapper.  This includes our soy; our soy comes from Identity Preserved Soybeans (NON GMO soybeans).

I hope you find this information helpful; please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional questions.

KIND Regards, 
Tony Celentano"

Further research found that the Identiy Preserved Soybeans came about because so many  countries have banned the use of GMO in their food. In order to market abroad,  companies must use independently verified sources (Identity Preserved) soybean sources.  So a big thank you to all the countries who've banned GMO's for helping make non-GMO sources available to us. 

And hurray for a non-GMO, yummy tasting, protein bar!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment